These things will help you to maintain office organization. You should strive to do these things everyday at the end of the day. So let’s go over the things you should do.
(These are not in the order that you should complete them. They can be completed in any order.)
1. File All Papers – This is something you really need to do to stay organized and have an office that is a place you want to go to. Organizing your files at the end of the day will make finding papers so much easier. When you have to really search for papers you lose valuable time that could have been spent on something else. If you put all of your files away at the end of everyday, you will have less piles of paper. So, would you rather spend lots of time trying to organize huge piles of paper, or take a couple minutes each day and avoid the piles?
2. Sort Your Mail – This you don’t necessarily have to do at the end of the day but you should do it everyday. You might want to sort it right as you bring the mail in. Whenever you do it, you should sort it into an order that makes sense to you. Whatever that order is, whether it is by when it needs to be taken care of or alphabetical by sender, it needs to allow you to find something without doing a lot of searching.
3. Clean Off Your Desk – This is also an essential task to maintain home office organization. If you go to a messy desk in the morning and cannot find anything, you will not start of your day on a positive note. However, if you sit down at your desk and can get right to work without wasting time finding something, you will have a positive start to your day. All you need to do is straighten up your desk at the end of the day. This means put the pens, pencils, books, binders, and folders away where they belong. Also, make sure to put all food related items away, because they can lead to bugs.
4. Write Your Notes in a Notebook or Planner – This means take all of the dates for events you recieved that day and put them in a planner. You should also take all of the notes from things like phone calls or emails and write the notes in a notebook and all of the numbers in a contact book. (If you do this right when you get the date, note, or number, you can save a little time and paper.) With all of these things you will not forget about what you have to do, who to call, and even what number to call.
5. Empty Your Trash Can – This may seem unnecessary, but in actuality it is very necessary. If your trash can becomes too full to put things in you may decide not to throw something away, and to keep your office organized you need to get rid of things you do not need. Also, and overflowing trash can is quite an eyesore.
If you take another look at these things, you may realize that a majority of them are all about putting things away. This is another key part to maintaining home office organization. If you work at completing these tasks, which will only take you a short amount of time, you should have an office that is very organized. Just remember, a few minutes of organizing will save you time when you are actually working.